“I enjoyed sharing some of the challenges I face at home with other parents in similar situations and receiving support and practical strategies from them and also our parent coach.”
-Parent of an autistic child who attended group sessions.
Parenting can be a challenging and rewarding experience, but when you have a neurodivergent child, it can be even more overwhelming. It is important for parents of neurodivergent children to have a support system that understands their unique needs and challenges. One way to build this support system is by joining an online parent support group. In this blog, we will explore some of the benefits of joining an online parent support group for parents of neurodivergent children and related conditions.
- Shared experiences and empathy
One of the most significant benefits of joining an online parent support group is being able to share experiences and empathize with other parents in a similar situation. Often, parents of neurodivergent children feel alone and misunderstood. An online support group provides a space for parents to share their feelings, ask questions, and receive support from others who are going through similar experiences.
- Information sharing and education
Another benefit of joining an online parent support group is sharing information with other parents and professionals in the field. Parents can learn about the latest research, therapy options, and interventions. This information can be valuable in helping parents make informed decisions about their child’s care. It is often felt that parents receive either too few or too many options for therapy centers. This could be overwhelming – who better to ask than a trusted community?
- Networking and resources
Online parent support groups also provide a platform for networking and resource sharing. Parents can connect with other parents with similar interests, needs, or experiences. Maybe you are considering introducing an emotional support animal or starting horseback riding lessons. Who better to ask about these ideas than other parents and parenting coaches who might have first-hand experience with these activities?
- Emotional support
Parenting a neurodivergent child can be emotionally taxing. Some online parent support groups provide a safe space for parents to express their emotions, concerns, and fears without judgment. The group can offer emotional support, encouragement, and validation. It is important to find a community that is private and secure, though, as many public groups can feel quite intimidating to join and ask questions in.
- Reduced isolation and stigma
Finally, joining an online parent support group can help reduce the feelings of isolation and stigma that parents of neurodivergent children often experience. The group provides a sense of community and belonging, which can be empowering and uplifting.
Tracto offers free online parent support groups, but these are called “Community Sessions” as we want parents to feel like they are having coffee or tea with a friend. We host these once a month and then invite parents to their very own private Community Chat Group. These exclusive sessions’ details are then shared within the group and all questions parents might have are answered directly by our expert and award-winning parent coaches.
Should you want to join our next Community Session – click here.
It will be on the 20th of April, 2023, at 1pm PST and 4pm EST. In light of Autism Acceptance Month and Stress Awareness Month, we are giving away an exciting prize to all attendees 🙂
What makes our sessions different?
- It is SAFE for everyone – we have vetted coaches that manage information shared are evidence-based, practical and supportive for YOUR family.
- We know how busy you are and we know what research states on learning styles. We incorporate microlearning video guides, focusing on scenario-specific events with practical support strategies. Yes, you read that right – it will actually make a difference in your life.
- You will have a chance to state your challenges at home and we will brainstorm with other parents on similar journeys as well as professionals in the field to find solutions that will work for you.
- You will walk away from these sessions with something tangible – and freebies!
- It’s FUN and interactive, where you will have the opportunity to not only learn, but share with others.
- We believe in evidence and research – we include journaling opportunities, tracking, learning and resources that will help you right from today!
We look forward to seeing you there!
Karla & Nanette
AIMS Global Founders